Monday, January 8, 2007

My Reasons For Blogging

There are many good reasons to blog: to share information, to build a social network; to keep a journal on one's experiences, and to make money.

I started blogging because I wanted to learn about personal publishing and experiment with making money through it. I chose personal finance as the topic area because of my interest and experience in the field. (For reference, I am not, nor have I ever been, a professional in the area of personal finance.)

Blogging was one good way to learn if my personal finance knowledge and experiences were of value. Value to others would initially be measured by readership. Value to me would be first measured by readership and then by monetization. Readership would let me know if I had relevant useful content. Monetization would let me know I had valuable content.

Building readership would be done through:

  1. Creating content with excellent quality and relevance.

  2. Creating awareness by enabling people to easily find my blog.

Monetization would be done through advertising:

  1. Google Adsense contextual advertising would my initial monetization approach. Contextual advertising uses algorithms that evaluate one's site and places relevant advertising on the site. Google is the major contextual advertiser and generates over $9 billion through advertising revenue.

  2. Direct sponsorships would be solicited once the blog became established

I soon learned building readership and monetizing my blog would take more time than I had expected:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

USuggest.com allow the bloggers to make some extra money through recommended products directly from within their blogs, and hopefully directing their readers to the some online retailers. As such, the respective blogger would receive a commission from any sales generated through referrals!